This is a software concept. A 3D Point Cloud is an object's image expressed in XYZ points (which is for 3D, as opposed to, XY for 2D) and is often used to observe the superficial aspects of an object's dimensions. It allows you to view, edit, create, save and manipulate the data. With this kind of software you virtually have your own Engineering department on the desktop.
Depending upon the processing tool selected (Pointools, LaserGen or 3DIpsos) the "cloud of points" will allow the following:
- the 3D display and manipulation of the digitized installation;
- the recording of distances between equipment (point to point) or the accurate identification of pipe diameters;
- segmentation of points cloud into "functional components" (pipes, civil engineering works, instrumentation, structures, etc);
- isolation of "cut sections" in the cloud, for the generation of section diagrams, longitudinal profiles or 2D plan views (layouts) at any height required;
- the modeling of mathematical shapes (cylinders, cones, toroids, extrusions, boxes, planes, etc.), using shape recognition functions;
- the generation of meshes of uneven structures;
- the detection, analysis, documentation and resolution of collisions between a 3D project and the cloud of points, as a reflection of actual conditions...